Diana’s purple velvet dress which she is seen donning in the portraits of 1991 and in a 1997 Vanity Fair photoshoot will be under auction on January 27 at Sotheby’s auction block, in New York. This royal dress is estimated to be worth $80,000 to $120,000.
The dress is a strapless one created by Victor Edelstein. This dress was part of the designer’s autumn collection for 1989. The gown features twisted detail in the bust area and a long tulip-style skirt.
Diana wore the same dress for her last formal photoshoot before her death in the year 1997. The photo was taken by Mario Testino.
The royal commentator spoke up, “It’s become harder and harder for independent collectors to get pieces of Diana’s wardrobe, so this is a fabulous find.” she added. “This particular dress, the deep purple velvet with twisted bodice, feels particularly modern and ahead of its time.”
The scintillating amethyst cross necklace worn by Diana is also getting into Sotheby’s annual Royal and Noble sale in London. The pendant is expected to be sold for $50,000.
Kinsey Schofield, the founder of ToDiForDaily.com, said to Page Six Style that the auction is “a rare opportunity” for royal fashion fans.
Interesting Facts About Princess Diana
Know something you didn’t know about the late Princess Diana
The late Princess Diana, affectionately referred to as “the Queen of People’s Hearts,” is a timeless icon. She is well renowned for her humanism, charity, and love for kids. She was the first person to break the royal rules and stir the world. Read along to know some unknown facts about the late Princess Diana.
- Even though it was untrue, HIV and Aids were once believed to be contagious through physical contact. In order to alter how people view HIV and Aids, Princess Diana shook hands without gloves with an HIV-positive man in London. It was indeed a daring act!
- Princess Diana loved dancing, so she studied professional ballet. But unfortunately, she was too tall to continue.
- Diana was a cool mom! Prince William revealed once that his mom introduced him to his childhood crushes, such as Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, and Naomi Campbell.
- Before becoming the Princess of Wales, Diana worked as a nanny and as a kindergarten school teacher.
- Diana conceals her cleavage while stepping out of her automobile by using her purse as a tool. Because she was constantly being followed by the press and every action she made was documented on camera, she took care to avoid being improperly captured.