Here's what you need to know about the #Oscars:
– For this awards year only, streamed films will be eligible for Best Picture
– Going forward, the Sound Mixing and Sound Editing awards will be combined into one category: Best Sound
For more details: https://t.co/LjBJJHExCN
— The Academy (@TheAcademy) April 28, 2020
Everyone began to pivot on how to go about and the Oscars ensured they were not left behind. Widely known as an age-old organization that always took my way or the highway approach, the current situation made the Oscars committee budge from their high-pedestal position
- Movies that debut directly on streaming platforms are eligible to compete for the coveted golden statue
- Movies won’t have to play in L.A. theatres to be eligible; New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Miami will be able to host qualifying runs, too
- In Original Score, instead of the nebulous guideline that music had to be “predominantly” new material, there are now concrete benchmarks: a score has to be 60% original, or 80% in the case of franchise films.
Only time will tell if these are just coronavirus infection after-effects or has the Oscars completely new turned a leaf.